Thursday, August 13, 2009

Welcome to winter or la bienvenida al invierno




Winter does it to people.

Checking luggage to Bariloche we learned that LAN airlines doesn't charge for ski and boot bags. Yipppeeee. What a way to promote winter recreation. LAN earns five stars in my book.

The flight to Bariloche was filled with energy. People, families, kids all excited for snow. The two little ones in the seat behind me were kicking like mules on my seat back, but I didn't care. Their squeals of "Mama, mama, Bariloche" at seeing the snowcovered Andes had me just as excited.

Fate always puts you next to the right person and I met Soulange Bourel on the flight. She shared her photos of skiing and Ron and I quizzed her about where to go and what to do. I hope our ski tracks cross on the slopes.

We landed in the dark to cold, wet snow but I was as giddy as a girl at the prom. We dug out our light jackets, I put on a pair of socks and off we went to find a taxi.

Even though it was a scramble to load all of our bags into the itty bitty compact taxi, the driver seemed pretty adept at using ropes and bungees to secure the load. He stopped three times en route to check it. We couldn't understand each other but we knew he cared about our gear. Gotta love these guys. Taxi from the airport to the Hosteria was 50 pesos, $13 US.

No comments:

Post a Comment