Thursday, August 13, 2009

Far from home

Ron and I left Marquette on at 2:15 Tuesday afternoon. First stop on this American Airlines journey was Chicago, then on to Miami. As much as I've traveled the world to find snow, I can't recall ever heading south, deep south. Even more strange, to be in the US and hear nothing but Spanish. Our gate at the Miami airport was truly a welcome to the Latin world. We left Miami before midnight and traveled over 4,000 miles through the night at 590 mph, par for the course at an altitude of 39,000 feet. Watching the flight path posted on the video screen buried in the headrest of the seat ahead of me, I realized how different this trip would be. Not only because I don't know Spanish, but even the names of the towns we were passing over were from another world: Oruro Cochabamba, Fortaleza, Cuiaba, Iquique. This is geography I haven't studied on a continent I really know nothing about. Fasten that seat belt girlie, this will be the farthest you've ever traveled from home, a total 6,720 miles, but only 1 time zone ahead. Still, I am ready for this adventure. It will be WINTER and that's all the promise we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment